Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Goodwill and good hospitality...

So, my mother-in-law is coming to visit tomorrow. She has not been to the house since Christmas. It goes without saying that my house looks a lot different minus the 100 boxes of Christmas decorations hibernating in my attic. So, of course I had a few errands to run after work to get ready for her visit and for a family dinner on Thursday night. After one Goodwill trip and plucking down $20 for a nearly 5lb pot roast- I am all ready. Yes, Mom, I will be passing the hat after dinner- bring some cash! I am kidding...sort of...no, completely kidding!

The guest room is all ready and I thought I would show you a few (fuzzy) pictures. The little room definitely needs a coat of paint- yellow maybe, but I love it. It needs a closet too. I am currently looking for an old wardrobe to fit in there. The painting was a wedding present from mom-in-law. It hung in the plantation house where we got married- the owner of the property is an art collector.


I found a few good things at Goodwill tonight including more plates (sorry hubby) and a great old picnic basket with metal handles. I also found two great green gingham lampshades, a floral plastic tray and the kitty figurine. The basket is faded but that just gives it more character. (The little table is a former $5 thrift find.) Here are my treasures for today...

Stay tuned tomorrow for more pictures from Minnesota. Good night to all my amazing friends out there in Blogland. Sweet dreams!

7 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Have a great visit with your mom. There is nothing better in my book than seeing what other treasures people find at Goodwill. Love it...that basket is awesome!

cherry said...

I LOVE (covet)that picnic basket. I found one awhile back at our local Humane Society that has a plaid look to it. Great places to store things. I have that SAME red ceiling tin like basket you have the flowers in. Thanks for coming by and leaving such a sweet comment. cherry

Anonymous said...

what a perfectly adorable little guest room. when can i come visit? have a wonderful time with your mother-in-law. i love all your finds. i am definately going to have to go back to that store. i just love visiting your blog. i leave happy every time.

Kim's Treasures said...

Your mother-in-law will feel cozy and relaxed in your sweet guest room! It looks wonderful! I love all your new treasures! Everytime I read that you bought more plates, it reminds me that I need to buy plate hangers! I should make a list!
Have a great day!
Kim

Thrifty Cents said...

I went away for 3 days and had to catch up on your blog!
What a sweet guest room! Love that picnic basket too! Looks like a wonderful place to spend the night!

Suzanne said...

It's funny, my sister just found that EXACT picnic basket at a Goodwill in our area. It seems that lots of people are donating their picnic baskets!

Love the guest bedroom. It just reminds me that I need to get busy redecorating mine.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Anonymous said...

Your guest room looks really nice and I know you will have a great time.

Love the picnic basket. That is a real treasure.

Gretchen